st: RE: Mahalanobis Distance and Clustering

From   Dan Weitzenfeld <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Mahalanobis Distance and Clustering
Date   Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:07:50 -0500

To close the loop on this, I believe I've figured out how to cluster using Mahalanobis Distance as the similarity measure.  Mahalanobis Distance is useful because, as Wikipedia says, "It differs from Euclidean distance in that it takes into account the correlations of the data set and is scale-invariant, i.e. not dependent on the scale of measurements."

The steps are:
1) installing David Kantor's -mahapick-
2) Confirm no missing values in varlist/observations you wish to use in clustering
3) using -mahascores- with -genmat- option to create the dissimilarity matrix
3) using -clustermat- on the resulting matrix

For example:
*----
ssc install mahapick
mahascores varlist, genmat(distance) unsq compute_invcovarmat
clustermat averagelinkage distance, add
*---