Re: st: merging datasets and getting different N in resulting dataset if I run several times

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: merging datasets and getting different N in resulting dataset if I run several times
Date   Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:09:58 -0400

Woolton,

It would be helpful if you could specify what you want the resulting dataset to look like. Do you want a record for every matching pair of records, as you would get with -joinby- or do you want something else? It would also be helpful if you could show your exact command syntax.

Michael

Nick Cox wrote:
If as you say the id variables do not uniquely identify observations in either dataset, it does not seem at all surprising that you get results like this. The assertion that there is be a bug, on no firm evidence whatsoever, is unconvincing in these circumstances. Either way, better advice might be forthcoming if you showed (a portion of) data for which you get results that puzzle you. Nick [email protected]
Woolton Lee

I am using 6 id variables to merge, all of which were character and I
have now converted them to numeric.  Even after I switch to stable
sorting and numeric id variables the problem persists though it is
smaller in magnitude - previously I was getting differences of 5-9 obs
in the resulting dataset between different runs, now its more like 1.
The id variables do not uniquely identify observations in the master
or using dataset.  Having said that it seems to me that this should
not occur at all even if there is duplication, and I am at a loss to
understand why its occurring.  A colleague of mine suggested there is
a bug in the merge command, I am using STATA 9.