AW: AW: st: AW: Flexible end of numlist

Subject   AW: AW: st: AW: Flexible end of numlist
Date   Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:46:17 +0200

<>

You declared yourself satisfied, and I am happy for you. Just to prevent
misunderstandings: I take it from your code that the first line create a var
" no_vars1", containing a count, and the second line puts into a new column
" no_vars2" the maximum of " no_vars1". There is no -by- option or anything
that would induce variability in the var " no_vars2". In the third line you
request a -levelsof-, which according to my understanding now contains the
unique value of " no_vars2", i.e. the maximum of " no_vars1". So the bottom
line for line 5, where you divide the -local- containing the max of "
no_vars1" by half, is probably
that you do arrive where you wanted to go, but with more complications than
necessary. You could simply

***
quietly: egen no_vars1=/*
 */ anycount(pat_se*), /*
 */  values(1/12 1980/2015)
su no_vars1, mean
drop no_vars*
forvalues i=1/`=r(max)/2'{

***

and be just as happy. The change would make your code more intelligble. You
should check carefully whether it gives you the same result as the earlier
one...

HTH
Martin