RE: zero inflated beta [was: st: Information request]

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: zero inflated beta [was: st: Information request]
Date   Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:32:54 -0700

The situation seems to be a hurdle model or two-part model.  It is
related to zero inflated Poisson or negative binomial.  In this case,
the zeros are identifiable.  So the problem is related to checking for
common proportions and equal slopes among the non-zero variables.  Here
are some references to get you started.

Lachenbruch,  P. A., (2001) "Comparison of competitors to the two part
model" Statistics in Medicine 20(8) 1215-1234

Lachenbruch, P. A. (2001) "Power and Sample Size Requirements for
Two-part models" Statistics in Medicine 20(8) 1235-1239

Lachenbruch, P. A. (2002) "Analysis of Data with Excess Zeros"
Statistical Methods in Medical Research 11(4) 297-302

The last reference is an introduction to a special issue of SMMR devoted
to the issues of excess zeros.  Some papers are on mixture models (like
zip or zinb) and some to identifiable models.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University