Re: st: local macro dereferencing

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: local macro dereferencing
Date   Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:50:36 +0100

It's not clear to me that you're defining the -local- in the same space.
Showing enough code to see whether that is true would allow a better
answer.

"Nelson, Carl" <[email protected]>

I am trying to use a local macro for a long variable list but it appears
that it is not being dereferenced.
It is created with

local x1var age_m age_f incearn_m incearn_f black hispan_m healfpm
healfpf slfemp_m /*
*/ incretir_m incretir_f incgovt_m incgovt_f yrswk_m yrswk_f educ_m
educ_f /*
*/ wltagem wlt2agem wltagef wlat2agef wlteincm wlt2eincm wlteincf
wlt2eincf /*
*/ wltblack wlt2black wlthispan wlt2hispan wlthealthm wlt2healthm
wlthealthf wlt2healthf /*
*/ wltselfm wlt2selfm wltrincm wlt2rincm wltrincf wlt2rincf wltgincm
wlt2gincm wltgincf wlt2gincf /*
*/ wltyrswm wlt2yrswm wltyrswf wlt2yrswf wlteducm wlt2educm wlteducf
wlt2educf

macro list returns the correct contents of _x1var. The macro is then
used in the following statement

mata: gmmrsk("share_riskyassets_broad","risktol_m risktol_f","wlt
wlt2","`x1var'") where the mata program was defined as

mata:
	mata set matastrict on
	void gmmrsk(string scalar yname, string scalar hname, ///
	string scalar x2name, string scalar x1name)

execution of the mata command returns

begin gmmbarg ---
      - mata: gmmrsk("share_riskyassets_broad","risktol_m
risktol_f","wlt wlt2","`x1var'")
      = mata: gmmrsk("share_riskyassets_broad","risktol_m
risktol_f","wlt wlt2","")
varlist required
               st_data():  3598  Stata returned error
                gmmrsk():     -  function returned error
                 <istmt>:     -  function returned error

It appears to me that x1var is not being dereferenced, but I don't
understand why. What is my syntax error?