Re: Re: RE: st: Can I apply -treatreg- if the endogenous variable iscontinuous?

From   [email protected]
To   statalist<[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: RE: st: Can I apply -treatreg- if the endogenous variable iscontinuous?
Date   Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:58:36 +0800

Austin, thank you for your reply.

I have ever seen this application, however I am not sure. I want to check it right or wrong. Thank you.
An additionally doubt is,

treatreg y x1dum x2,treat(x1dum=z1 z2 z3 z4)

In the above typing, can it be understood as z1 z2 z3 z4 are instruments for x1dum?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Rose.

----- Original Message -----
From: Austin Nichols <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: RE: st: Can I apply -treatreg- if the endogenous variable iscontinuous?
Date: 2009-8-12 23:22:29

No, that does not sound appropriate. Why would you want to do that?
Is it because you have no candidates for excluded instruments and you
are hoping to identify off nonlinearities alone? In that case, you
would be better off in general ignoring the endogeneity problem than
adopting such a strategy. What you should do is find excluded
instruments and run -ivreg2- or -ivregress-.

2009/8/12 <[email protected]>:
> Hi Cam,
> thank you for your help and valuable reference.
>
> In fact, the endogenous variable is continuous in my example.
> So -ivreg2- is fit for it. My doubt is whether I can use -treatreg- in this way.
> Concretely, my outcome equation is ,
>
> y=a0+a1x1+a2x2+e
>
> where x1 is continuous and endogenous.
>
> Base on the median of x1, I could get x1dummy=(x1>r(p50)).Then put x1dummy as the
> dependent variable in the treat equation to calculate lambda.
> And at last, reg y x1 x2 lambda.
>
> Is is appropriate?
>
> thank you for any help!
>
> Best regards,