Re: st: counts with censorship

From   Eduardo Nunez <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: counts with censorship
Date   Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:16:11 -0400

Austin, thank you for your prompt response.
Agreed that death is one of the main component of the endpoint and not
a censor mechanism. A composite endpoint of death or rehospitalization
(whichever event occurred first) is what traditionally has been used
as clinical outcomes in heart failure trials. However, by indication
of regulatory agencies (FDA, EMEA) new treatment need to be tested
using "days alive and out of the hospital", which is a sort of the
reciprocal of the previous endpoint. The theoretical advantage of this
endpoint is that it combines mortality, lenght of stay (LOS) of the
index hospital stay, and the burden of subsequent hospital stays into
a single endpoint. Using survival analysis was mi first thought, but I
wasn't sure how to deal with follow-up time. Then, I considered the
option of using "censornb" from Joseph Hilbe, approach that will
ignore death as the main endpoint and treat it as a censor mechanism.
If I understand the first part of your answer, you meant to use stcox
and for the time variable, just to discount the days spent in the
hospitals from the total follow-up. Is that right?
I agreed that competing events may be playing an important role in
obtaining unbiased estimates, particularly when the posibility of
informative censoring may be operating in this situation (lost to FU
related with the treatment or death with rehospitalization as you
mentioned). However, I don't know how to implement such competing risk
approach in this specific setting.

This is the description of censornb: censornb fits a maximum
likelihood censored negative binomial regression of depvar on
indepvars, where depvar is a non-negative count variable. The censor
option is required. If no observations are censored, a censor variable
with all 1's must be specified.

Regards,

Eduardo