st: Opening Stata datasets from windows explorer in windows vista

From   Maksim L Pinkovskiy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Opening Stata datasets from windows explorer in windows vista
Date   Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:48:05 -0400

whenever I try to open a Stata dataset by clicking on it in Windows Explorer, I
get output and an error message of the form:

C:\data\mydataset
unrecognized command:  C
r(199);

 This problem also existed in Windows XP but could be fixed; I know that the
problem arises because Windows is looking for the file "wstata" when it should
be looking for "wsestata". However, I cannot fix this problem in Vista as the
control panel menus in Vista are different from those in XP and do not allow
changing what specific application opens which file type (as far as I can see).
  I would be very grateful for any help that you could give to me on this
matter.

Yours Sincerely,
Maxim Pinkovskiy.