Re: st: Pulling out observations based on a condition

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Pulling out observations based on a condition
Date   Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:53:33 -0400

1 to 5 or 5 to 1? Or just 1 to 5? Do they have to make the
big jump each period, or at least once over 21 periods? Your
posts have been ambiguous about both. You need to be specific
if you want specific answers.

Here's a modification that gets just the big jumps (either way)
and for each subject counts the number of big jumps; you can then
keep subjects according to whether numbigjumps=20 (the maximum number
of bigjumps) or numbigjumps>=1 or whatever.

  bys id (time) : gen bigjump=(abs(status-status[_n-1])==4)|(_n==1)
  bys id : egen numbigjumps=sum(bigjumps)

hth,
Jeph

Dmitriy Krichevskiy wrote:
Thanks a lot Jeph,
First, to clarify - I would like to keep those that do transition. But
I want to handpick those who transition from state 1 to state 5 - not
just those that leave state 1 to go anywhere. Thanks again, Dmitriy