Re: st: Symbolic differentiation

From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Symbolic differentiation
Date   Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:01:46 -0400

This is done using nlcom. Derivatives will be approximated numerically. You specify the non-linear combination of parameters you want, and you get back a point estimate, and standard errors. Covariance matrix can be seen by typing

-return list-

Paul

John Bates wrote:
Is there any way to do symbolic differentiation in Stata or Mata?  i.e., deriv(x^2)=2x?

Related to this question: suppose I regress y on x and z and want to estimate the variance of x_hat/z_hat.  Are there any commands that let you calculate the variance of this expression automatically?  (I'd like to avoid calculating the first-order taylor expansion etc. myself, especially for more complicated expressions).

E. Paul Wileyto, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics
Tobacco Use Research Center
School of Medicine, U. of Pennsylvania