Re: st: RE: help with encode

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: help with encode
Date   Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:58:12 -0400

Miranda, you misunderstand what the label() option does in -encode- .
As the -help- clearly indicates, the label option either creates a new
label or, if there is already a label of the same name,  adds numeric
codes to that label.

In your case, you already had label 'fish', with values 0,1.  Your
encode statement added values 2 & 3  to that label and gave these to
the new variable fish1.

Aside: In the world outside of regression with indicator variables,
"1" & "2" is the natural way of referring to two choices on a
questionnaire or in a list.

-Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]