RE: st: RE: help with encode

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: help with encode
Date   Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:53:37 +0100

This works fine for me. In the absence of an indication of exactly what
you typed, I cannot explain what you did wrong.

. clear

. set obs 4
obs was 0, now 4

. gen gender = cond(mod(_n,2), "m", "f")

. l

     +--------+
     | gender |
     |--------|
  1. |      m |
  2. |      f |
  3. |      m |
  4. |      f |
     +--------+

. label def female 0 "m" 1 "f"

. encode gender, gen(female) label(female)

. l

     +-----------------+
     | gender   female |
     |-----------------|
  1. |      m        m |
  2. |      f        f |
  3. |      m        m |
  4. |      f        f |
     +-----------------+

. l, nola

     +-----------------+
     | gender   female |
     |-----------------|
  1. |      m        0 |
  2. |      f        1 |
  3. |      m        0 |
  4. |      f        1 |
     +-----------------+

Miranda Kim

I tried this but couldn't make it work, as it then automatically encodes

the variables with 2's and 3's...

Nick Cox wrote:

> In addition to other answers the direct answer to the second question
is
> "Yes":
>
> label def female 0 "m" 1 "f"
> encode gender, gen(female) label(female)
>
> It would no harm to check on any missings:
>
> tab gender if !inlist(female, 0, 1)

Miranda Kim