st: AW: Re:

Subject   st: AW: Re:
Date   Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:00:39 +0200

<>

" ... and available from the SSC
archives the most useful utility for renaming variables en mass..."

-ssc desc renvars- leads to an error for me. -ssc d r- only finds -renames-,
but not -renvars-. Use -findit- to locate it...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Neil Shephard
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2009 10:23
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: Re:

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Martin Baumgarten<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I use the reshape command in Stata like this
>
> reshape wide Alltrade, i( reporter time ) j (partner) string
>
> stata does everything fine, but I end up with the new variables names all
starting with the prefix "Alltrade-"

> I dont want this though. Is there any way to stop Stata adding this
prefix?

It depends, what is the remaining stub of all of the variables?  If it
starts with a letter then you'll be fine, but you can't have variables
named with purely numbers.  Had you included these details it would
have been possible to advise further, but without this information
I've no idea if removing the prefix will leave you with illegal
variable names

You'll probably find -renvars- by Nick Cox and available from the SSC
archives the most useful utility for renaming variables en mass...

ssc desc renvars
ssc install renvars
man renvars

Neil

--
"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/