Re: st: multiple weights per person in GEE?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: multiple weights per person in GEE?
Date   Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:31:27 -0400

--

The WEIGHT used by SAS GENMOD is a dispersion parameter weight, which
should be equivalent to Stata's -aweight-.   Weights for IPTW should

-Steve

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Joseph Coveney<[email protected]> wrote:
> Ariel Linden wrote (excerpted):
>
> I have been using GLM with vce(cluster) with the IPTW weight, but the SE is
> much larger than that produced in SAS using GEE. For example, with a beta
> coeficient for a treatment variable of 2.47, GLM in stata gives me a SE of
> 0.484 (CI = 1.53, 3.43) while GEE in SAS gives me SE of 0.013 (CI = 2.45,
> 2.50).
>
> This is a pretty meaningful difference, and in several models this can
> change the treatment effect from being positive to one of non significance.

> I take it that the difference you're seeing in SEs with identical point
> estimates is between
>
> PROC GENMOD;
> . . .
> REPEATED SUBJECT = . . . / TYPE = IND;
> SCWGT . . .;
>
> and
>
> glm . . . [<weight>= . . .], cluster(. . .) . . .
>
> If so, then these are indeed larger differences than would be expected if the
> two packages mean the same thing by "weight" in this context.  You've probably
> already considered the following and more, but just in case:
>
> 1. What kind of weights are you declaring the IPTW to be in Stata?  Fewell et
> al. (2004) used Stata's -pweight-.
>
> 2. Related to that, does PROC GENMOD need scaling of the weights so that they
> sum to the number of observations?
>
> 3. Is it possible to cajole Stata into allowing the time-varying weights that
> you want by viewing the observation time points in the same manner as waves of a
> survey and setting the model up as a survey data analysis task?
>
> Joseph Coveney
>
> Z. Fewell, M. A. Hernán, F. Wolfe, K. Tilling, H. Choi, J. A. C. Sterne.  2004.
> Controlling for time-dependent confounding using marginal structural models.
> _The Stata Journal_ 4(4):402–420.
>

> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Steven Samuels