Re: st: Average Partial Effects after reoprob

Subject   Re: st: Average Partial Effects after reoprob
Date   Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:28:54 -0400

Paul Noroski<[email protected]>:
The APE or marginal effect is not so straightforward to calculate for
a nonlinear random effect model, since the marginal effect depends on
the realization of the random effect, and these are typically not
estimated.  See e.g.
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-03/msg00015.html
I don't know how -margeff- does it for -xtprobit- (but note you can
use -xtprobit- to get the APE of x on p3 as you describe it) but I
suspect it assumes the RE is zero, which can result in some very odd
results.  I think the right way to do it for a random effects model is
to simulate, i.e. draw errors from the estimated distribution over and
over, and average across results (to get SEs you could bootstrap the
simulations, to incorporate uncertainty about estimates in addition to
the distribution of REs).  That would be much more involved, of
course...

I could be wrong, of course--http://stata.com/stata11/margins.html says:
"
margins works after EVERY Stata estimation command except exact
logistic and exact Poisson; alternative-specific conditional logistic,
alternative-specific multinomial probit, and alternative-specific
rank-ordered probit; nested logit; generalized method of moments; and
structural vector autoregressive models.
"
which implies nonlinear RE models are no problem (in a week or so when
Stata 11 is out).