Re: st: Treatment for Missing Values - What Options ?

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Treatment for Missing Values - What Options ?
Date   Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:42:01 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 15/7/09, Chao Yawo wrote:
> Given that close to 60% of those who are "Missing" on the
> condom use variable are not sexually active, I decided to
> condition / subset the check I did earlier for the
> relationship between the dependent variable and the Missing
> variable on only those who are Sexually Active, and got a
> different result from what I sent out yesterday:
<snip>
> Thus, if we take sexual activity only into consideration,
> the results are non-significant.

That is good news.

I see two approaches here:
1) If your dependent variable only makese sense when the
respondent is sexually active, you should restrict the sample
to those sexually active individuals. After that you can
safely ignore the missing cases, as these are no longer
related to your outcome variable

2) If your dependent variable does make sense when the
respondent is not sexually active, than you can use the dummy
variable approach for those cases that where not sexually
active. The remaining missing values can than be safely ignored.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie