st: Re: Memory Settings

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Memory Settings
Date   Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:19:24 +0100

For starters, please read the Statalist FAQ with particular attention
to section 5 (http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#private
)

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Ismail Ait Saadi<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi  Neil Shephard,
>

> Many thanks for your prompt reply. I tried what you mentioned but still does not work. In your opinion what are the maximum figures I have to set for the memory?

Again the FAQ is worth reading, I can't see what you've typed nor what
error messages you are getting returned, "still does not work" is not
very informative when it comes to trying to work out whats going
wrong.

Please copy and paste (in a post to the list!) the results from what
you're typing.

> With regrad to the message I get which memory they are refering to? set maxvar or  set memory or  set matsize ?

As noted above, I can't see that message!  By the sounds of it you
only need to bother setting the memory.

The first step in assessing how much memory you require is to work out
how "large" your data set is.  You're -insheet-ing the file, so how
many Mb is the file in question?

The next step is to determine if your hardware has sufficient RAM to
handle this.  You've given no indication as to the operating system
your using but under *NIX systems typing 'free -m' in a terminal will
show how much RAM you have, and under M$ variants you can get to this
under the information provided when you right-click on "My Computer"
and select "Properties"

Once you've assessed that you have sufficient RAM to cope with your
data you need to then -set memory XXM- thats it, no need to worry
about -set maxvar- or -set matsize- (at least at the time being).

You'll probably find the following FAQs useful too....

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/index.html#mem
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/#memory

Neil

--
"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/