Re: st: Handling 0 values when using logs of a dependent variable

Subject   Re: st: Handling 0 values when using logs of a dependent variable
Date   Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:48:37 -0400

Rich Steinberg<[email protected]> :
Not so--for many purposes, adding a constant to all observations is
worse, as demonstrated by the attached simulation.  Making the
missings (logged zeros) a number smaller than all others and running
-tobit- can work quite well if you pick the right number--but unless
you know the right answer already, you cannot be assured of picking
the right number, also demonstrated in the simulation below, and you
will often wind up worse off!  On the other hand, the -poisson-
approach, or equivalent -glm- call, works more generally, in the sense
of giving a distribution of estimated coefficients centered near the
true value and having a size of test (rejection rate) better than the
alternatives (closer to 5%).

clear all
prog simlny, rclass
drawnorm x e, clear n(1000)
g y=round(exp(x+e),.5)
count if y==0
return scalar n0=r(N)
poisson y x, r
return scalar pois=_b[x]
test x=1
return scalar p_pois=r(p)
return scalar r_pois=r(p)<.05
g lny=ln(y+1)
reg lny x, r
return scalar reg=_b[x]
test x=1
return scalar p_reg=r(p)
return scalar r_reg=r(p)<.05
tobit lny x, ll r
return scalar tobit=_b[x]
test x=1
return scalar p_tobit=r(p)
return scalar r_tobit=r(p)<.05
g lny2=max(ln(y),ln(.25))
tobit lny2 x, ll r
return scalar t2=_b[x]
test x=1
return scalar p_t2=r(p)
return scalar r_t2=r(p)<.05
g lny3=max(ln(y),ln(.025))
tobit lny3 x, ll r
return scalar t3=_b[x]
test x=1
return scalar p_t3=r(p)
return scalar r_t3=r(p)<.05
eret clear
end
simul,rep(100) seed(1): simlny
tw kdensity pois||kdensity reg||kdensity tobit
tw kdensity pois||kdensity t2||kdensity t3,name(tx)
foreach v of varlist pois reg t* {
 g mse_`v'=(`v'-1)^2
 }
su r_*
su mse_*

For those who have read down this far: increase the number of reps to
at least 10,000 for reasonable estimates, and try out different coefs
for x and the constant, and different imputations for the lower limit,
to see that the results are robust.  Also note that the effect of x on
ln(y+1) is not the same as the effect of x on ln(y) so of course the
"reg" results are not directly comparable, but many authors treat them
as if they are, and Rich mentions no post-estimation adjustment below,
so I have ignored that point in keeping with standard practice.