Re: st: Handling 0 values when using logs of a dependent variable

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Handling 0 values when using logs of a dependent variable
Date   Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:34:02 -0400

why do you want to take the log of the outcome variable?

possibly you can use glm with a log link to get around this problem

Rich

Dana Chandler wrote:
I would like to run a regression of a given variable's log on another
set of variables. How should I handle the 0 values?

I have searched for an answer and saw some people say that "you cannot
run a regression with logs on values of zero... those values should be
considered 'missing' in the regression." Another suggestion was to
replace the 0s with 1s.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Dana