st: multiple_imputation

From   Victor Mauricio Herrera <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: multiple_imputation
Date   Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:58:15 -0500

Hello stata users, I will appreciate your help about the following issue:

I am working with a pool of surveys and I want to impute missing values in the pooled dataset while keeping the design variables and re-calculated weights. Here is my question: Is it correct to impute missing values - and used them during the analysis - for variables that were not originally measured in some of the surveys? For example, waist circumference was not measured in all the surveys, however, since that variable must be included in the imputation model all individuals in the pooled dataset end up with a value for that variable.

I think that since the mechanism that generated the "missing" values (not measured values) isn't related to the values themselves - if those had been measured - then it is plausible to obtain a valid imputation.

Thanks,

Victor Herrera MD. MSc.