Re: st: xtreg, xtdata with fixed effects in unbalanced panels

From   Davide Cantoni <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtreg, xtdata with fixed effects in unbalanced panels
Date   Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:13:49 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

it is not my usual style to pick up questions which I had posted
previously to this audience and that have not been answered, but I
will break this rule now to post some more findings I made on this
issue. Maybe someone is interested in this question at a later point
in time.

A week ago I noticed that the equivalence (at least in terms of point
estimates, not of std.err.) between -xtreg,fe-, -xtdata,fe- and manual
demeaning does not hold when the panel is unbalanced. I discussed this
using the example of the "grunfeld" panel dataset, which had been used
in a previous Statalist posting (see below).

There are two (three) more insights that I would like to share:

(1) In the example I made below, one of the crucial features was that
we had two-way fixed effects (time and company FE). With simple
one-way FE (company only), there would be no problem with manual
demeaning or -xtdata,fe-.

(2) If we have two-way FE, you need to demean the time dummies as
well. This had not been done in the example by Scott Merryman in July
2004, and it was not a problem as long as the panel was balanced. When
the panel is unbalanced, demeaning the "other" set of dummies is
crucial.

(3) -xtdata,fe- still does not work properly with the unbalanced
dataset, and I have not found out why. Any suggestions are still
appreciated.

For those who are interested, here are two sets of Stata coded to
demonstrate these insights (refer also to my original posting for the
full example).

Best, Davide

*** BEGIN CODE
*** Part (1), a.k.a.: one way FE and unbalanced panel are not a problem

*** load the dataset and drop some of the observations
webuse grunfeld, clear
gen randomnumber=uniform()
drop if randomnumber>0.8
drop randomnumber

*** run the regressions
*** -xtreg,fe-
qui xtreg inv mval kstock, fe r
est store xtreg

*** Demean in company dimension
foreach var of varlist invest mvalue kstock {
	egen mean_`var'_comp = mean(`var'), by(company)
	gen demean_`var' = `var' - mean_`var'_comp
	}
qui xtreg demean_invest demean_mvalue demean_kstock, fe r
est store demeaned

*** Use -xtdata,fe to demean data
tsset company year
xtdata company year invest mvalue kstock time, fe clear
reg invest mval kst, r
est store xtdata

est table xtreg demeaned xtdata, ///
	keep(mvalue kstock demean_mvalue demean_kstock) se

*** END CODE

*** BEGIN CODE
*** Part (2), a.k.a.: with two-way FE you need to demean the time
dummies as well

*** load the dataset and drop some of the observations
webuse grunfeld, clear
gen randomnumber=uniform()
drop if randomnumber>0.8
drop randomnumber

*** run the regressions
*** -xtreg,fe-
xi i.time, pre(D)
qui xtreg inv mval kstock D*, fe r
est store xtreg

*** demeaning done right (also the time dummies)
foreach var of varlist invest mvalue kstock D* {
	egen mean_`var'_com = mean(`var'), by(com)
	gen demean_`var' = `var' - mean_`var'_com
	}

qui reg demean_invest demean_mvalue demean_kstock demean_D*, r
est store demeaned

*** use -xtdata,fe to demean data
tsset company year
xtdata company year invest mvalue kstock time, fe clear
tsset year company
xtdata, fe clear