Re: st: RE: Multinomial logit for panel data?

Subject   Re: st: RE: Multinomial logit for panel data?
Date   Thu, 9 Jul 2009 11:14:47 -0400

Nick et al.--
I think Markov-style models are still used by implication, for example
in the economic mobility literature, where quintile transition
matrices are popular, but probably not justified. One reason: the
product of two transition matrices estimated for t-1 to t and for t-2
to t-1 often bears no resemblance to a matrix estimated from t-2 to t,
contradicting assumptions required for a Markov process.  If Dmitriy
Krichevskiy believe he has a Markov process, he can estimate on pooled
data by duplicating and reshaping data, though this seems like a bad
idea--better to estimate for each pair of times. Probably he should
use svy:tab to get standard errors on transition probabilities, which
do not seem to be estimated by -markov- on SSC.  In any case, the
limiting distribution can be derived via a little linear algebra, and
probably it is not too much work to get some standard errors for that
distribution as well.