Re: st: RE: 'movestay' command

Subject   Re: st: RE: 'movestay' command
Date   Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:50:11 -0400

Clemence Berson<[email protected]> :
It is not the responsibility of user programmers to support their
programs; contributions to SJ and SSC are provided "as is" with no
warranty, but I have several guesses as to why your questions did not
elicit a complete answer (e.g. claiming "I am not really able to read
the code" is not likely to increase your probability of good answers).
 It is clear from the -movestay- help file and implied by the SJ
article at http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0071
that the selection equation and the main outcome equation(s) can have
different sets of explanatory variables, and simply trying an example
illustrates that it is possible:

ssc inst movestay, replace
use http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTPOVRES/Resources/movestay_example.dta
ren lmo_wage y
ren private s
movestay y edu*, select(s=age*)

But your "delta" is not a parameter of the -movestay- model, i.e. the
difference in expected wage rates conditional on entry to a given
sector does not influence the probability of entry except through the
correlation of error terms u_i and e_ji (this effect is not a constant
delta multiplying a difference in wages, and the selection model you
have written down is a linear probability model, so it is far from
clear what you intend).  You can predict u and either e1 and e2 given
the estimates, but not both e terms--though you could draw an e for
the unobserved sector from the estimated jointly normal distribution
of errors.  If you draw ten errors in this way and impute them to each
obs, you could estimate the partial correlation of the difference in
errors with various observed variables using a regression under
multiple imputation.  I have no idea if this kind of estimate would be
consistent or sensible, but you are free to derive the asymptotic
results and program such an estimator yourself.