RE: st: RE: Extract elements from string variables

From   Howard Lempel <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Extract elements from string variables
Date   Wed, 8 Jul 2009 18:49:46 -0400

No problem.

Are your names separated by commas, then?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 6:45 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: RE: Extract elements from string variables

Thanks Howie,

That is a pretty good estimate of what the data set looks like, however the names I am using are often of different forms:
Mr John Smith, Dr. Seuss, etc.

So I don't believe that I can use -word-.

Also, I've tried using split, but it generates new variables, which I can use to obtain my goal, but the code is then tedious and kind of disgusting, i.e

gen advisor = advisorindividual1 if duplicate == 1.  all the way through the max amount.

and then drop the variables advisorindividual1 through 15.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to do something along the lines of:
gen advisor = advisorindividual`i' if duplicate == `i'?

Thanks again,
Conor