RE: st: Is anyone aware of the more efficient way to use reshape command

From   Roy Wada <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Is anyone aware of the more efficient way to use reshape command
Date   Wed, 8 Jul 2009 08:48:59 -0700

> I have a relatively large panel data set 0.6GB and I am trying to
> reshape it from wide to long using reshape. Allocating 7GB of memory
> to Stata leads to 'not enough memory' message even though it is more
> than 10 times the dataset. Allocating 12-15GB leads to Stata not
> responding in Windows. I do have the latest PC with 64bit Vista and
> 64bit Stata 10, -compress- does not help either.
>
> Dmitriy Krichevskiy

You can reshape several variables at a time and then merge them togehter.
Or you can do it from scratch (append one year at a time). Either method
is faster than trying to reshape the whole thing at once.

Roy