Re: st: AW: Economic Significance and Logged Independent Variables

From   Erasmo Giambona <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Economic Significance and Logged Independent Variables
Date   Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:28:38 +0200

Thanks Martin. I try to explain in detail what I do

I run a regression of Debt/Total Assets on logged Total Assets (TA)
and other variables. Then I multiply the coefficient estimate on
logged TA by the standard deviation of logged TA. This product is
equal to 0.15.

Then I repeat the same exercise except that I replace logged TA with
TA. I multiply the coefficient on TA by the standard deviation of TA.
This product is equal to 0.0002.

I am puzzled by the fact that the economic effect drops from 0.15 with
logged TA to 0.0002 when TA is not logged.

Thanks,

Erasmo