Re: st: Economic Significance and Logged Independent Variables

Subject   Re: st: Economic Significance and Logged Independent Variables
Date   Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:41:31 -0400

Erasmo Giambona <[email protected]> :

The change in coefficients is common in highly skewed variables, but
you have much larger problems. For starters, you are explaining y/x as
a function of x, which leads to division bias (see e.g. Borjas, 1980).
 Also, I doubt Debt/Total Assets is really constrained to lie in
[0,1], since outstanding debt can exceed assets (also, how do you
count loans from the firm, which could count as negative debt). Also,
if your dependent variable is constrained to the unit interval, linear
regression is almost certainly inappropriate; see e.g.
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/logit.html or -ssc inst locpr-
for a graphing tool to see the likely functional form in a
cross-section; for the panel case, see
http://www.stata.com/meeting/snasug08/abstracts.html#wooldridge

More importantly, what is the direction of a causal effect here?  If a
firm issues bonds worth $100, they have $100 more debt and $100 cash
on hand, increasing y/x (as long as y/x<1 as you claim) and increasing
x, leading to a positive correlation.  But why are they issuing debt?
It's not because they have higher assets (that is an outcome as well),
it's because the marginal value of investment exceeds the interest
rate.  The positive correlation is not causal, not even close.  Or
should we read that as Total Net Assets, i.e. are you subtracting Debt
from Total Assets?  In that case, I am sure Debt/NetAssets is not
constrained to lie in [0,1], since debt can certainly exceed assets
less debt.

Borjas, George J. “The Relationship Between Wages and Weekly Hours of
Work: The Role of Division Bias,” Journal of Human Resources, Summer
1980, pp. 409-423.