st: Different Samples Sizes Across Imputed Data Sets

From   Elizabeth Covay <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Different Samples Sizes Across Imputed Data Sets
Date   Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:47:16 -0400

I used the -ice- routine for multiple imputation on my data. For some
of my models, I want to run separate models for those students who
applied to college and those who did not apply to college. When I run
the models using an "if apply==0/ if apply==1" and -micombine-, my
output tells me that there are different sample sizes in imputation 2
through 5 compared to imputation 1. I have believe these sample sizes
are different because of different imputation values within one case
(i.e. one person  has a 0 1 0 0 1 for their five values for apply,
which then changes the sample sizes depending on the imputation number
when I restrict the models to apply==1). What is the technically
correct way to deal with this?  Do I go ahead and use the regressions
that have different sample sizes across imputations or do I restrict
my sample using a non-imputed measure of apply or is their another
method?
Thank you for your help,

Elizabeth Covay