Re: st: how to express the mean of a variable in a calculation?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to express the mean of a variable in a calculation?
Date   Tue, 07 Jul 2009 22:36:24 -0400

Thank you Joseph and Kit! But there's an error in my calculation:

. di `slpmean1'
.22114205

. nlcom (_b[halflnpllnpl]+slpmean1*slpmean1-slpmean1)/(slpmean1*slpmean1)

slpmean1 not found
r(111);

Hope you can help we with it. Thanks again.

Crystal

Quoting Joseph McDonnell <[email protected]>:

quietly summarize x2 if year>=1 & year<=5
display r(mean)
local x2mean1_5=r(mean)
di `x2mean1_5'

you can then use x2mean1_5 in your calculations. You can, in
principle, use r(mean) but this will be wiped on the next r-class
command.

If you want the mean for each individual year, you could use a loop

forvalues yr=1(1)5 {
      quietly summarize x2 if year==`yr'
       local mean`yr'=r(mean)
}