st: AW: random deviates from a distribution with truncation

Subject   st: AW: random deviates from a distribution with truncation
Date   Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:49:01 +0200

<>

Look at "mus04p1sim.do" in http://www.stata-press.com/data/mus/mus.zip, line
189-198:

*************
* Draws from truncated normal x ~ N(mu,sigma^2) in [a,b]
quietly set obs 2000
set seed 10101
scalar a = 0                             // lower truncation point
scalar b = 12                            // upper truncation point
scalar mu = 5                            // mean
scalar sigma = 4                         // standard deviation
generate u = runiform()
generate
w=normal((a-mu)/sigma)+u*(normal((b-mu)/sigma)-normal((a-mu)/sigma))
generate xtrunc = mu + sigma*invnorm(w)

HTH
Martin