st: Random subset from existing panel dataset

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Random subset from existing panel dataset
Date   Fri, 3 Jul 2009 18:28:30 +0200

Dear statalist,

I would like to do something that is pretty straight forward, but I do not
have the stata skills to do this and would appreciate some help.

I have an unbalanced panel data set (almost 101.000 observations) which is
too large to work with. The dataset looks like:

Id      year     y(dependent variable)  x1      x2      x3 (many many
covariats)
1       2000
1       2001
1       2002

2       2003
2       2004

3       1998
3       1999
3       2000
3       2001
3       2002
3       2003
3       2004
3       2005

The dataset is already xtset with identifier (ID) and time (year). Because
the original dataset is too large I would like to take a random subsample
(containing of ca. 1000 observation) out of the original dataset. I have
already tried to follow the advices from the FAQ "How can I take random
samples from an existing dataset?", but it does not work for me.

Does somebody could help me to solve this problem?

Best regards

Frauke

___________________________________

Frauke Rüther, Dipl.-Kffr., M.A.