RE: st: Re: Deleting Only Particular Observations

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: Deleting Only Particular Observations
Date   Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:10:20 +0100

... meaning -inrange()-

From: Nick Cox
Sent: 02 July 2009 15:51
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: st: Re: Deleting Only Particular Observations

-in- always refers to absolute observation numbers. Why can't it refer
to relative observation numbers under -by:-?

Who knows? Bill Gould will know.

As for me, I don't know. I guess CRC thought that it would complicate
things and wasn't necessary anyway. I don't think it's often wanted
directly anyway. But even great programmers sometimes think "We might
implement that some day, but there are more important things to do now",
and "now" can then stretch over a few decades.

bysort foobar : <whatever> if inlist(_n, 3, 5)

does what

bysort foobar : <whatever> in 3/5

would do if the latter were allowed.

Martin Weiss

Statalisters: What is the reasoning behind the prohibition to use -by-
and -in- in the same statement?