RE: st: adoupdate question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: adoupdate question
Date   Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:20:57 +0100

My answer is the same. Some users write programs that explicitly support
calls under different versions. Sometimes you have to look inside to see
that; part of the art is often concealing the cleverness from the user.

In any case, anybody can call anything under different versions <= their
current Stata version; the question is whether it makes any difference.

Richard Williams

At 02:11 PM 6/30/2009, Nick Cox wrote:
>I don't think that's true at all. I've done this, Ben Jann does it a
>lot, and I'm sure there are other examples.
>
>Richard Williams
>
>With Alan's approach, I suppose a wildly
>ambitious programmer could also support version
>control, although I am not aware of a single
>user-written program that does that.

To clarify, I know that lots of people like you will provide a
foobar8, foobar7, etc. when you release a new version.  By version
control, I was thinking of how Stata does it, e.g.

version 7: foobar

which would cause foobar to revert to its version 7 behavior.  I
don't know of any user written programs that do that, i.e most
programmers just seem to write a foobar7, a foobar8, etc.  But, I
could be missing some.