Re: st: Stata 11 data format

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 11 data format
Date   Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:58:58 -0500

Philip Ryan ([email protected]) and  Markus Hahn
([email protected]) asked about Stata 11's .dta format:

Phil:
> Are there any differences in the .dta files produced by Stata 11 compared
> with those produced by Stata 10? (which is to say, under Stata 11, will we
> need to use -saveold- or a new version of Stat/Transfer to maintain backward
> compatibility with Stata 10?)

The Stata 11 .dta format is identical to the Stata 10 .dta format.
-saveold-, in both Stata 11 and Stata 10, saves data in Stata 9's .dta
format.

Markus:
> What interests me personally is whether variable/dataset labels can now
> consist of more than 80 characters. In my view, this is a huge
> limitation and should be changed.

Variable and dataset labels still have a maximum length of 80 characters.
I am not sure what Markus wants to put in the labels that is longer
than 80 characters, but Stata's ability to put -notes- on variables
and the dataset as a whole are what I would recommend.  Individual
notes may be up to 67,784 characters long, and each variable and
the dataset as a whole may have up to 9,999 notes.

--Alan
([email protected])