Re: st: Parallel Stata Installations

To   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Parallel Stata Installations
Date   Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:56:01 -0500

At 08:04 AM 6/29/2009, Martin Weiss wrote:
<>

Dear Statalisters,

re Stata 11 release: Could any of the long-time users on the list share
their experience/problems/advice for using parallel installations of
two/more Stata installations? Do any conflicts arise between the two? It is
the first time I find myself in this kind of quandary...

I have Stata 7, 8, 9 and 10 installed on my machine, with no problems. I suppose you might have a problem if, say, a new version of a user-written program required Stata 11. Often when people update their programs that way, they also rename their old program (e.g. add an 8 to the name to indicate it is for Stata 8) and continue to keep it available.

Keeping older versions of Stata is handy if you want to make sure a program works ok with an older version. Using version control makes your programs work with future versions of Stata but does not necessarily guarantee they will work with older versions.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam