st: Standardization of Ordinal Variables and Polychoric PCA for Index

From   "Hisako Kobayashi" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Standardization of Ordinal Variables and Polychoric PCA for Index
Date   Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:14:33 -0700

Dear Statalist:

I want to know how to develop an index from 5 ordinal variables. But I am not sure about standardization of ordinal variables and how to use weights to develop an index.  The ordinal variables are in Likert scale from 1 to 4.

I am thinking of using eigenvectors of the first component of polychoric PCA (with code of 'polychoricpca').  I believe that this code is for ordinal variables so that I don't need to standardize the variables before I run polychoric PCA. ( Before I run polychoric PCA, I checked Kendall tau b and MCA.).

But after that, I think that I need to standardize ordinal variables to calculate the index with weights (eigenvectors). If so, how can I standardize ordinal variables? And then I multiply each variable by weight from the pca and sum up to make an index.

I want to know if this procedure is correct or not. This index is one of explanatory variables. I just want to know a simple method to develop an index.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.
Best regards,

Hisako

--
Hisako Kobayashi