st: Interpreting Poisson output

From   "Data Analytics Corp." <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserve <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Interpreting Poisson output
Date   Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:17:59 -0400

Hi Stata,

I have a simple question about interpreting Poisson output. Suppose I have a simple model with counts of newspapers read as the dependent variable and gender and education as the independent variables. The two independent variables are both dummy coded so gender is just 1 = male/0 = female and education is just 1 = college/0 = no college. If I use

       poisson count gender education, irr

I get reasonable answers. The gender coefficient exponentiated tells me the change in the count for males relative to females. Similarly for education. What if I want to know males who went to college? Do I just exponentiate the sum of the two coefficients? I think so. Are there any things to watch for?

Thanks,

Walt

--

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.