Re: st: Adjusted Kaplan-Meier curves

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Adjusted Kaplan-Meier curves
Date   Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:12:12 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 8/6/09, Ricardo Ovaldia wrote:
> I have been asked to plot Kaplan-Meier curves adjusted for
> covariates, such as age, gender, race.
> My thought was to use -stcox- to adjust and then plot the
> adjusted survival using -stcurve-.
> But I am not sure I am doing this correctly. The KM curves
> plotted with -sts graph,by()- crossover, but those plotted
> with -stcurve- do not and also they have a lot more steps
> than the original curves. Any ideas?

Sounds like a reasonable strategy to me. I don't have any
concrete ideas, except that I added the example below of
how I would do this. Maybe you can see something in my
example that is different from what you did (no guarantees
that what did is better than what you did though).

*--------- begin example --------
sysuse cancer, clear
stset studytime, failure(died)
xi: stcox i.drug age, basesurv(S)