st: RE: egen mean excludign any variable with missing values

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: egen mean excludign any variable with missing values
Date   Mon, 8 Jun 2009 12:09:36 +0100

Yet another answer is to point out that the -if- condition can be
written

... if !missing(y,x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7,x8)

Mandy fu

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestion about
following question related to --egen-- command.

I want to demean variables Y, x1-x8 and then run an OLS regression of
these variables for a panel data set for respondents.  I think  I need
to be careful with the missing values in these variables. I'm not sure
to exclude any  respondent who has missing values for any of the
variable in Y, x1-x8 when calculating the group mean for each
respondent.

**get the group mean (using id as group) without taking consideration
of mising values
foreach v of varlist Y x1-x8 {
    by id: egen mean_`v'=mean(`v')
}

In order to exclude the respondents with missing values for any
variable in Y, x1-x8, of course I can write out the condition like

I 'm sure there should be some easy way. Could anyone give me some hint?