RE: st:egen mean excludign any variable with missing values

From   Roy Wada <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st:egen mean excludign any variable with missing values
Date   Sun, 7 Jun 2009 23:31:33 -0700

> I want to demean variables Y, x1-x8 and then run an OLS regression of
> these variables for a panel data set for respondents. I think I need
> to be careful with the missing values in these variables. I'm not sure
> to exclude any respondent who has missing values for any of the
> variable in Y, x1-x8 when calculating the group mean for each
> respondent.
>
> Mandy

You can take advantage of -reg- to perform casewise deletion.

qui reg y x-x8
foreach v of varlist Y x1-x8 {
   by id: egen mean_`v'=mean(`v') if e(sample)==1
}

Roy