Re: st: RE: AW: Sample selection models under zero-truncated negative binomial models

From   John Ataguba <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: AW: Sample selection models under zero-truncated negative binomial models
Date   Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:03:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Austin,

Specifically, I am not looking at the time dimension of the visits.  The data set is such that I have total number of visits to a GP (General Practitioner) in the past one month collected from a national survey of individuals.  Given that this is a household survey, there are zero visits for some individuals.

One of my objective is to determine the factors that predict positive utilization of GPs.  This is easily implemented using a standard logit/probit model.  The other part is the factors that affect the number of visits to a GP.  Given that the dependent variable is a count variable, the likely candidates are count regression models.  My fear is with how to deal with unobserved heterogeneity and sample selection issues if I limit my analysis to the non-zero visits.  If I use the standard two-part or hurdle model, I do not know if this will account for sample selection in the fashion of Heckman procedure.

I think the class of mixture models (fmm) will be an anternative that I want to explore. I don't know much about them but will be happy to have some brighter ideas.

Regards

Jon

----- Original Message ----
From: Austin Nichols <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, 5 June, 2009 14:27:20
Subject: Re: st: RE: AW: Sample selection models under zero-truncated negative binomial models

Steven--I like this approach in general, but from the original post,
it's not clear that data on the timing of first visit or even time at
risk is on the data--perhaps the poster can clarify?  Also, would you
propose using the predicted hazard in the period of first visit as
some kind of selection correction?  The outcome is visits divided by
time at risk for subsequent visits in your setup, so represents a
fractional outcome (constrained to lie between zero and one) in
theory, though only the zero limit is likely to bind, which makes it
tricky to implement, I would guess--if you are worried about the
nonnormal error distribution and the selection b

Ignoring the possibility of detailed data on times of utilization, why
can't you just run a standard count model on number of visits and use
that to predict probability of at least one visit?  One visit in 10
years is not that different from no visits in 10 years, yeah?  It
makes no sense to me to predict utilization only for those who have
positive utilization and worry about selection etc. instead of just
using the whole sample, including the zeros.  I.e. run a -poisson- to
start with.  If you have a lot of zeros, that can just arise from the
fact that a lot of people have predicted number of visits in the .01
range and number of visits has to be an integer.  Zero inflation or
overdispersion also can arise often from not having the right
specification for the explanatory variables...  but you can also move
to another model in the -glm- or -nbreg- family.

*
*  For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?searchhttp://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faqhttp://www.ats..ucla.edu/stat/stata/