st: Rename variables to reflect values?

From   "Victor, Jennifer Nicoll" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Rename variables to reflect values?
Date   Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:41:36 -0400

Hello Stata-users:

I have an NxN matrix where the first row of observations and first column of variables are essentially the labels/identifiers of the matrix.  Ultimately I will reshape this into a long format, but before I do I need the variable names to reflect the identifiers.  Right now the variable names are c2, c3, c4,...c256.  I'd like them to reflect the values in the first row of observations (or the first column--they are the same).  These values are a non-sequential sequence: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16....  So I'd like the variable names to be id8, id10, id12, id14...

I could make a local macro with the entire sequence and then do a foreach command with a rename function, but the sequence is very long (256 values long.)

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I could rename my variables to reflect the values in an observation or a variable?  Or any other suggested shortcuts, short of making this long local macro?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer Nicoll Victor
Assistant Professor