st: Complex survey with only sampling weights

From   "[ISO-8859-1] Fernando Terr�s" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Complex survey with only sampling weights
Date   Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:09:44 +0200

Thank you very much for the answers,
What I would like to do in a first instance (apart from descriptives and
totals) is to compare subpopulations with respect to certain variables
(working conditions), so confidence intervals are needed in order to
asses if the differences are statistically significant (I didn't knew
that SPSS had a survey module, but anyway I will use Stata 10 for the
analysis).
My problem then is on how to process this data. Talking Stata:
- Ideally I would have to:
svyset mun [pweight=pw] || sect || _n, strata(strat)
With: mun=identifier for municipalities, the included weights,
sect=identifier for sections, and
egen strat=group(gender region size activity)
But: the identifiers are not included in the data set, I'm also unsure
on whether the stratification is done at the individual level (they say
that select them by quotes), it seems that strata are defined as
grouping on gender*region*size*activity because they tabulate those
values (but in the data file there are some of this groups, a few, with
different pw, probably errors).
- If I have correctly understood, Michael suggests doing:
svyset, poststrata(strat) postweight(pw)
- On the question of Austin, yes I have an in-between variable, the
province (50). But I don't understand how to proceed afterwards. One
cluster with the weights, and then individuals?
Fernando

--
Fernando Terres
Lecturer. PhD candidate