st: Covariance Matrix transform in MLE estimation

From   Malcolm Wardlaw <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Covariance Matrix transform in MLE estimation
Date   Wed, 29 Apr 2009 01:09:01 -0500

I have a quick question regarding recovering the Hessian variance-
covariance matrix in MLE estimation.

I've got a mixed bernoulli type log-likelihood function that I'm using
the inverselogit(-x-) trick in order to keep Stata from searching for
lambda values less than 0 or greater than 1.  Essentially telling it
to estimate x=logit(-lambda-) instead of -lambda- itself.

I know how to ask Stata for the transformed parameter and variance
estimate (That is, transforming the logit(-lambda-) estimate into -
lambda-. -->nlcom invlogit([logitkappa]_cons).  What I need are the
covariance terms of the parameters.  Essentially the off diagonals of
the Hessian matrix (as if I was estimating -lambda- itself along with
the other parameters.  How do I recover that transformation?

Oh, and on a side note, does anyone know why you have to use tricks
like that instead of just
telling Stata not to search for parameters there?

Malcolm