RE: st: RE: yscale in anovaplot

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: yscale in anovaplot
Date   Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:55:11 +0100

That's a very helpful reference to keep questions clear and specific.

That web page gives two graphs, and (modulo cosmetic details) both are
obtainable directly via -anovaplot-. The only twist is that the -anova-
to precede it is simpler than the -anova- used as example.

use http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/examples/kirk/spf2-4, clear
anova y a b a*b
anovaplot
anovaplot, scatter(ms(none))
anovaplot b a
anovaplot b a, scatter(ms(none))

The moral that the plots you want may pertain to a simpler ANOVA than
that you fit is valuable, and I'll build this example into the next
revision of the help for -anovaplot-.

David Airey

Typical plots in the context of a split plot design are here:

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/examples/kirk/kirkstata12.htm

 On Apr 26, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Nick Cox wrote:

>> You use it the way you expect to be most fruitful.
>>
>> I'm not minded to go upstream and find out what the example is
>> about, or
>> learn enough about the subject-matter to make a guess at what
>> should be
>> most helpful.
>>
>> But the default -anovaplot- has no inbuilt intelligence. It's likely
>> that some permutation of the factors improves on the default plot,
>> for
>> example
>>
>> anovaplot s a b
>>
>> A simple but important issue is that whenever identifiers are quite
>> arbitrary, putting them on one axis may not yield a clear picture. It
>> may be worth re-labelling identifiers to make structure clearer.

David Airey

On Apr 26, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Nick Cox wrote:

>>> 2.1.1 is the latest publicly available version.
>>>
>>> -anovaplot- plots observed and fitted values after -anova- in
>>> terms of
>>> predictor levels.
>>>
>>> It's a bit surprising to hear that you never found that useful. What
>>> do
>>> you do instead?
>>>
>>> A while back I went carefully through various classic texts on ANOVA
>>> from the 1950s. As I recall none of them included any plots based on
>>> data.

David Airey