Re: st: sample adjustment by substitution instead of weighting

From   Dirk Enzmann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sample adjustment by substitution instead of weighting
Date   Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:59:26 +0200

Steve,

They don't use probability weights: They simply randomly delete some cases of strata that are overrepresented and substitute them by randomly duplicating cases of strata that are underrpresented (here the term strata does not refer to the population but subgroups of the sample!). Afterwards they analyse their modified sample without any weights (duplicating some cases serves as a substitute to weighting).

I know, this sounds silly, but I simply would like to know whether this is actually practice in some fields or where this has been advocated or discussed.