Re: AW: st: imputing continuous values when respondents select categories, e.g., income category

From   Alan Acock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: imputing continuous values when respondents select categories, e.g., income category
Date   Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:29:38 -0700

Thanks for recommending intreg. I was not familiar with this command. When I run the example in the reference manual, the estimated income is not always within the limits of the interval the respondent selected. Using their example and predicting est_income, here are the first 10 observations:
  +---------------------------+
     | wage1   wage2    est_wage |
     |---------------------------|
  1. |     .       5    4.266946 |
  2. |     5      10    7.502522 |
  3. |     5      10    10.19239 |
  4. |    10      15    8.924339 |
  5. |     .       5    8.116896 |
  6. |     .       5     10.2202 |
  7. |     .       5    10.35355 |
  8. |     5      10   -2.894233 |
  9. |     5      10    13.32243 |
 10. |     5      10    9.792462 |

Some estimated values are well outside of the interval. Is it recommended to simply replace these with the interval boundaries?

Alan Acock