Re: st: mim: xtmixed for unconditional models

From   Nailing Xia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mim: xtmixed for unconditional models
Date   Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:28:24 -0400

Maarten, you are right. I tried to estimate using the unimputed
dataset with the command:

xtmixed dvar if [parwgt] || schid: || childid:,

and it has the same problem (no standard errors for random
components). The model I am estimating has three levels: time, child
(using the variable "childid"), and school (using "schid"). However,
children are not entirely nested within schools, because children
switch schools over time. So I tried the crossed random effects models
using:

 xtmixed irtm if [parwgt] || _all: R.schid || childid:

But it gives error message like this:

                     J():  3900  unable to allocate real <tmp>[38153,2413]
      _xtm_mixed_ll_uu():     -  function returned error
       _xtm_mixed_ll_u():     -  function returned error
        _xtm_em_iter_u():     -  function returned error
          _xtm_em_iter():     -  function returned error
                 <istmt>:     -  function returned error
r(3900);

Now I am not sure how to specify the random effects at the school
level since neither nested model nor crossed model seems to work. Any
suggestions?

Thanks!