st: RE: Multi-way contingency tables in Stata

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Multi-way contingency tables in Stata
Date   Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:07:10 +0100

With eight dimensions it is difficult to see how any program could cope
with line lengths ~ 100 (rather than say ~ 1000) and not produce an
awful mess one way or the other.

See, however,

-contract- for the export case

-groups- on SSC for a lengthwise presentation that can cope with that
number of variables. This was also written up in

SJ-3-4  pr0011  . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Problems with tables,
Part II
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N.
J. Cox
        Q4/03   SJ 3(4):420--439                                 (no
commands)
        reviews three user-written commands (tabcount, makematrix,
        and groups) as different approaches to tabulation problems

Kristian Karlson

I want to create a large, multiway contingency table in Stata. I need
to reduce the table for a latent class analysis in another program.
However, with the table and tabulate commands in Stata I only have the
opportunity to cross two variables. With the userwritten command
tab3way, I can cross three variables. However, I need to cross around
eight polytomous variables and get the output into a data file / text
file.