st: RE: What is this plot type?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: What is this plot type?
Date   Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:34:40 +0100

I doubt very much that Stata was used for this. Rightly or wrongly, Stata does not provide _direct_ support for dynamic or interactive graphics.

Although the graphics are clearly cute and clever in various senses, and no disparagement of those aspects intended, and fun to play with, I think most Stata users faced with similar data could learn more from producing a series of static graphs.

What message is left in the mind when you finish playing with the display?
What could you report to others other than "Do look at this"?

Hi Statalisters. I thought you'd be my best bet on this question. I am intrigued by this plot in the Wall Street Journal. It's on this page and, technically speaking of course, is the plot that looks like yellow balloons. :)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123986615199224399.html#mod%3DtestMod%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive

The WSJ appears to use Stata for a lot of their visualizations and perhaps used it for this too. There is a transparent element in the graph as well that would be useful in exploring independent of the rest of the display.